Home

My my My my

Traditional Tee Ball Drills / Practice
Forum: General Discussion
Subject: Traditional Tee Ball Drills / Practice
Posted by: of <a href='http://huguenotlittleleague.com' target='_blank'>huguenotlittleleague.com</a>
Date/Time:
Beginner Drills for Parents to do with kids prior to the Season (mainly for 4 year olds or for children who have never played the game):

Throwing
- Have children "stand on their skateboard" with feet shoulder width apart with their throwing arm at the back of the skateboard
- Throwing motion should be circular "from thigh to the sky" with follow through diagonally across the body
- Make sure elbow is bent on the circular motion

Catching
- Have child toss the ball up in the air to themselves and then increase in height as they get comfortable
- Practice using the alligator method to "snap" the ball as it is tossed to them; focus on using two hands when catching
- Lob tennis balls underhand and get the kids practicing catching without the glove as this is essential to understanding the benefits of using two hands
- Set up cones/object about 6 feet apart and roll balls towards them (with and without the glove) and have them practice being the goalie to stop the ball
- Make sure legs are shoulder width apart and glove is in the middle of their legs

Hitting
- Lob plastic balls underhand and have them use a big plastic bat to whack the ball as it builds confidence and gets them focused on swinging the right way
- Batting stance should involve hands away from the chest, front elbow in the middle of the chest, back elbow should be up, and bat should be diagonally across back shoulder
- Put a big black magic marker dot on the ball and place it on the tee; get the child used to keeping his eye on the dot and swinging through the ball so that the bat comes across the opposite shoulder

Reply to message    
Message Thread
Subject Posted by When
Traditional Tee Ball Drills / Practice    6 Years ago